Definition of Time: Dictionary.com defines time in the following ways,
1. the system of those sequential relations that any event has to any other, as past, present, or future; indefinite and continuous duration regarded as that in which events succeed one another.
2. duration regarded as belonging to the present life as distinct from the life to come or from eternity; finite duration.
3. ( sometimes initial capital letter ) a system or method of measuring or reckoning the passage of time: mean time; apparent time; Greenwich Time.
4. a limited period or interval, as between two successive events: a long time.
5. a particular period considered as distinct from other periods: Youth is the best time of life
Here is my definition and a brief explanation of why time is important.
Time is a gift of the Triune God that is used to bring greater glory to Christ, and for the well-being of His creation.
1. Time is important to God because He created it – Genesis 1:14
- In Genesis 1, God is creating His story. This story has a beginning and an end. In the middle is time that is filled with the actions of God and the actions of men.
- It is the parameter or boundaries by which people will be judged. After the end of the story – there will be no need for time at least not the way we view it now. Therefore God uses time as book ends in which His story is played out.
- God’s glory is more precious in a fallen world when time is a factor (for example, jailhouse religion, immanent death, short-term mission trip – when we know our time is short, we our awaken to the important things in life – God’s glory).
2. Time is important to God’s creation, namely us:
a. It provides order. Farming would be extremely difficult without time – how would you know the seasons?
b. It forces a person to acknowledge a sense of urgency. Time in this life is finite.
- My children are growing up way to fast.
- I’m growing up way to fast!
c. Time can provide hope: Until time ends you still can fulfill your dreams or change your dreams.
d. Time can help in healing a broken heart.
e. It gives some kind of framework for the appropriate human action during life’s circumstances.
f. Time reminds us that death is real and we be must be prepared. Hebrews 9:27
3. How do we respond to God for the gift of time?
a. Count each day as precious. See the morning and the evening as a huge present from God.
b. Try to order your day as to maximize the amount of time for God’s glory.
- This is more than a day timer activity
- It is prioritizing what matters most.
- Three things will last forever – God, God’s Word, and souls of men and women.
- When you have free time enjoy it to the uttermost to the Glory of God.
- Make a big deal over Birthday’s you may not get another one.